Wednesday, September 10, 2008

One Of The Lucky Ones

At our church play group today there was a lot of discussion about pregnancy, as there always is whenever you gather a bunch of mormon women together. Somehow the talk just turns to pregnancy and childbirth.

The consensus among all the women was that pregnancy is an unpleasant part of life that is to be endured, but not enjoyed.

Now, I must confess that I was one of the lucky few who had a relatively easy pregnancy. I was never afflicted with more than slight nausea, as long as I kept something in my stomach at all times. The headaches that plagued me during the first trimester were survivable, even though one headache would generally last a few days. But I must say I would rather have a nasty headache than be puking all day.

Of course I had the normal aches and pains that accompany any pregnancy, and experienced the usual sleeplessness that results from having another human being bouncing on your bladder all night.

But I am grateful for all those experiences. I had dreamed of being pregnant my whole life, and I loved it, from start to finish. I wasn't ready to give it up when my son came. It was such an amazing time, and I look back on it with so much fondness. There is nothing more incredible than growing a baby, after all.

I know most people tend to roll their eyes when I say I loved pregnancy. They think I just don't know how easy I had it. But I think because it was so difficult for me to get pregnant in the first place, I appreciated every little twinge that reminded me of the life I carried inside me. And knowing that it may be my only opportunity to nourish a new little one was all the more reason to cherish every moment.

I truly am one of the lucky ones.

3 comments:

Julia said...

Absolutely!

I loved being pregnant, too. It took so long to get pregnant, and I didn't know if I would ever get to be pregnant again, that I cherished every week. Even the kickboxing practice and especially the daily hiccups.

Unknown said...

UH, don't you just want to slap some people sometimes?! I am to the point that I think every woman should be required to go through some type of infertility at some point just to appreciate the gift it truly is to grow a life inside of you...At the same time...I wouldn't wish IF on my worst enemy. I suppose some women do just have awful experiences with pregnancy (not that I would know anything about it) and perhaps that is their trial in life.

fiona said...

As someone who DID have morning sickness, till about 1/2 way through, I still can say I enjoyed being pregnant. Just 'cause I had some little babies inside me, anything was worth it! Yeah, I didn't really enjoy being sick, but a small price to pay. Though I do remember laying on the couch saying I never wanted to do it again...of course, immediately after the nausea left for good, my tune changed. Funny how quickly one forgets :P But yeah, I even "appreciated" the puking because of what it meant.