Friday, May 1, 2009

IVF #2 ...here we go!

We're doing an IVF cycle this month. As in, I started my period on Tuesday, and on Wednesday had my FSH and E2 tested, ran to the pharmacy and bought $800 worth of Gonal-F (no prescription necessary) and started the injections. And the whole doing-infertility-treatments-in-your-non-native-language has already bitten us squarely on the rear. Sigh. A nagging little part of my brain kept telling me, "I think we started doing something BEFORE day 1 (starting my period) of the cycle we planned to do IVF in...but did we really???" Back at our initial consultation, in December, Dr. Bossano very clearly stated, "when you're ready to do IVF, just call us on the first day of your period and you'll go in for hormone measurements and we'll start from there." Awesome! Unfortunately, what he meant, and probably explained somewhat, is you start that whole menstrual cycle and on day 21 of THAT cycle, you do some drugs and then get your period AGAIN and do the actual ovarian stimulating drugs. Duh! You'd think I'd remember that! It was three years ago, though, and surprisingly, much of that IVF is pretty fuzzy by now.

So all day on Wednesday (Day 2 of my cycle) this nagging feeling was getting stronger and stronger...Finally I googled "IVF timeline" etc., and the nagging blossomed into full-fledged worry as I saw and began to remember the REAL timeline. Yep, spreads over TWO cycles. Dang it! We don't have TIME to do this schedule! We leave Uruguay on June 12. We literally will NOT be here to do IVF according to the timeline. I held on to a slim hope that they do it differently in Uruguay, that we were still going to be able to squeeze a cycle in. And then I called the office. I hate, hate, HATE talking on the phone in Spanish. Especially when it's something important and vital information is being exchanged. I hate it. But, it had to be done. And yes, the nice lady told me my hormone levels looked perfect and she'd set up an appointment for day 21 for an ultrasound and etc., etc. So I clarified that we weren't actually doing IVF in this cycle, and then let her know about our, ahem, misunderstanding and how we were moving and HAD to do it this cycle. Silence on the line. She said she'd call me back. So I sat by the phone, my mind flitting through various options, on the verge of slight panic. She called back about 2 minutes later, and told me the new plan. Injections immediately, and we'll go for it. Yeeeessssss!!! Though I don't remember or know what I'm missing out on by skipping the previous steps... Hopefully nothing too important.

So, there it is. We're going for it again. AND, we're not telling anyone! Well, scratch that. Our families of course know, and many of our friends here in Uruguay...and y'all....okay, basically, I'm just not putting it on our blog, because we want to surprise at least SOME people if we are blessed with a pregnancy again. How cool would that be? Very.

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Holy cow, Gonal F is non-prescription?! That's crazy. Good luck to you! We'll hope for an equally good outcome as your first IVF this time.

Julia said...

VERY! Good luck, Fiona! Relax through your move mid-June! Nothing to stress over, right?

You are incredibly brave to do IVF in Spanish. Some people have trouble doing it in English! :)

Unknown said...

Spanish IVF! You've got skills girl! AHHHH! I'm SO excited for you! YAY!! Good luck!