Friday, December 5, 2008

Essentially is Enough

I went to the Ob/Gyn today to talk about some ultrasound results. The doctor was looking for uterine fibroids. Not something I particularly care to find.

The nurse handed me a copy of the results summary from the lab after she took my blood pressure and ensconced me in an exam room. I had 15 minutes to mull over the latinate words and get worried over all-too-familiar terms like "cystic lesions" and "endometriomas." I've come a long way through the endometriosis journey. The excruciating pain that once so troubled me hasn't happened for seven years.

After I read through the results, I got a horrible sinking feeling. For the first time in years the weight of secondary infertility crashed down. I could feel sadness and despair wanting to edge into my heart. What if I'm not supposed to have any more children? I thought. Maybe I'm supposed to have only one child. The next inevitable thought of This isn't going to work I aimed at the dejection and turned it around. I wouldn't let the discouragement work. Whatever will come will come.

The doctor greeted me and we looked over the results. The only fibroid present was tiny, insignificant and uninterfering. The cysts were follicular: essentially normal in resolving throughout my cycle. The endometrium was normal. When I asked about my progesterone levels from a previous blood test taken five weeks earlier, the doctor told me that the normal range is 4 to 28, and my level was 16.

Wait a minute. Is she saying that essentially, things for me are normal enough?

As I sat there mystified, she dropped a bomb I hadn't even considered. "As far as infertility goes, it may not be you."

Hmm. It sounds like there may be a couple of more tests to run. And this time, they won't be on me.

2 comments:

fiona said...

Yay for a clean bill of reproductive health!! Now get B to the doctor... ;)

Our OB actually sent Z for tests first, since it's so much easier to do the male workup, and I didn't have a background indicating those issues. Which, in our case, was good since we found out right at the start what we were facing.

Good luck, I'm so glad to hear that you're "normal enough"! :)

Bonnie said...

I'm glad to hear that everything is okay with you. And the good thing is that the man's test is easy, quick, and cheap! And it doesn't even involve any pain. Ha ha. So worth it.

Let us know how it turns out.